Today, the TsNIGR Museum is one of the largest natural history museums in the world.
The museum’s collections number more than 1 million individual items. In its exhibition halls of total area of 3,750 m2, over 80,000 samples of minerals, rocks, ores, fossil fauna and flora are exhibited.
The museum was founded in 1882 at the Geological Committee of Russia and was supposed to illustrate national geology using sheets of geological maps at a scale of ten verst to the inch. In 1930, the museum was open to visitors. In the same year, the museum was named after Academician F.N. Chernyshev, who made an invaluable contribution to the creation of the museum.
The museum’s exposition consists of three major exhibition blocks: «Regional Geology», «Minerals» and «Monographic Paleontology»
Russia's largest scientific fund for the storage of primary petrographic material
There is a thin-section library in the museum, large and the only scientific storage of primary petrographic material in Russia with 1,400 petrographic collections (over 350,000 thin sections) for printed and archive materials on regional geology, metallogeny, mineralogy, petrography, including those to monographs of prominent geologists: A.K. Boldyrev, A.N. Zavaritsky, A.P. Karpinsky, V.N. Lodochnikov and many others.